Saturday, December 02, 2006

Welcome to Winter: The Midwest Reality

In the Chicago area everything is blanketed in snow. It came down early Friday morning, after a horrible ice storm Thursday night, and the phenomenon the weather man referred to as Thundersnow. Pretty scary stuff.

But now the world looks like this:
And the trees look like this!
My sons offered to clean off my car, since I managed to twist my knee. They did such a good job I may have to pretend I'm ailing a bit longer than I need to. :)

That's my neighbor, Burt, cleaning off his garage in the background.
Here's Ian, braving the wrathful temperatures and the flakes of ice that keep shooting up from the scraper. I'm inside by the heater, taking photographs. For once, Mom got the better deal.

And this was the car when we started. That's not snow, it's ice. It was quite a challenge, let me tell you.

Anyway, in honor of the snowy weather, I found this lovely poem by Melville Cane that I'd like to share.

Snow Toward Evening

Suddenly the sky turned gray,
The day,
Which had been bitter and chill,
Grew soft and still.
Quietly
From some invisible blossoming tree
Millions of petals cool and white
Drifted and blew,
Lifted and flew,
Fell with the falling night.

--Melville Cane

No comments: