Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Mystery of Vision

On this day in 1853, Vincent Van Gogh was born. He lived only 37 years, at the end of which he took his own life, but he remains a significant name not only in the art world, but in popular culture. Van Gogh is in many senses a mystery, but one that his beautiful and distinctive art makes people believe they can solve.

In his famous song, Vincent, Don McLean sang of the torment and passion of a great artist:

"Now I understand . . . what you tried to say to me; and how you suffered for your sanity, and how you tried to set them free--

They would not listen, they did not know how; perhaps they'll listen now."

McLean also sang the line "This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

But I think Vincent had a special place in the world, and continues to reside there.

(art link here)

2 comments:

Eric Mayer said...

Hey, that's one of the Van Gogh's I have in my revolving desktop art gallery! Have you ever seen this art site?

http://pintura.aut.org/

Julia Buckley said...

Wow--great site! Thanks.

I do like this one--some of the same mood as The Starry Night, but slightly less lonely.