Saturday, March 17, 2007

Writer/Reader Challenge

There's a downside to writing, and to the writing life. I've always been a relatively sedentary person. Before I was a writer I was a reader, and even as a teen, my favorite sport was lying around and reading books--often whole books in one day.

Now I've graduated to writing books, which requires hours at a keyboard on a regular basis. When I'm not writing I often have to catch up with reading, both for business and pleasure. I'm a teacher, which means more reading and more computer time--handouts, tests, quizzes. Added to all of these tasks that require sitting, I enjoy watching television. We are a big tv family--we have our favorite sitcoms, and then we enjoy watching DVDs that we get from Netflix.

You get the idea. Both my husband and I have come to the realization, between looking at photos of ourselves and listening to stern warnings from our doctor, that we need to make some changes. We need to move, before our bodies freeze or fossilize, and we need to eat less fat. We're not thrilled about either of these things, but we've committed to make wiser decisions, to be more abstemious for the sake of health.

So I thought I'd extend the challenge to any blog readers out there. Who would like to join me for a one-month how-much-better-shape-can-you-get-in-by-April-17 challenge? We can support one another through those chocolate craving times, those times when we think "You know what would be fun? Sitting in this chair for hours."

By April 17 we'll know just how much self-discipline we have, and we can share tips with one another. Community support helps, and it's free (at least here it is).

And if we do well in that one month? It will encourage us, of course, to sign on for another month, and get used to the new habits that we're forming. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and all that.

Who's with me?

15 comments:

Julia Buckley said...

Okay, readers, the silence is deafening. :)

I must admit, it's day two and I'm craving everything on earth. And I haven't done my physical activity yet. But I'm working on it!

Anonymous said...

Julia - you won't believe this - but I'm in your *exact* same situation. Decided *yesterday* to join the local health club and tonight is my first visit as a spanking new member. I hope to get over the newbie jitters quickly and perhaps join a class or two in the weeks to come.

It came down to the realization that I'm not going to get stronger, or in better health by just sitting here. I have small bones and a history of nasty osteo problems in the family. Plus all this sitting is making my legs complain when I walk too long. This is it. My new change. I just think it's unbelievable that you and I made similar pacts one day apart.

Good luck to us both!

Julia Buckley said...

We'll have to check in with each other now and then and see how we're doing!

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Very sore today. I could only make it through about half the machines. Still, the soreness is proof that I'm following the right path - just as receiving rejection letters are proof that I'm following my dream of being a writer.

Yeah. That'll work for me today. It's really all just mind games, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Editors have the same problem!

I'm in. Although does it matter that I've been on WW for over a year? I don't go to meetings, just follow the program.

The eating healthy seems to be under control (only took a year to become second nature...). The exercise...that's the current challenge.

There are some great, helpful resources out there, that you probably already know. hungrygirl.com is amazing for healthy food ideas. And I just discovered bootcampbuddies.com

Barbara

Julia Buckley said...

Well, you look great to me, Barbara, but of course we all have to keep fit. I am the worst when it comes to battling those sedentary tendencies. I'll think of you and Julie when I'm walking. :) And I'll check out Hungry Girl!

Hope the soreness recedes, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Count me in! Come spring, I said to myself all winter, I'll begin walking. Guess what? It's here. No more excuses.

Julia Buckley said...

Oh, I know, Deborah. I am the queen of making promises. I didn't walk yet today, although I still plan to do some calisthenics. (Note the word "plan.") Also I ate a candy bar today. But when we fall of the horse, we must get back on. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I "planned" to walk when I got home last night. Oh well. BUT, I did walk up from the 3rd floor (where the parking is) to the 6th floor in my building today after lunch. We won't talk about spaghetti legs afterward, however. :)

Julia Buckley said...

Good for you! Walking is walking. I understand the noodle legs. And when I run up the stairs to my classroom, it's always embarrassing how out of breath I am when I'm confronted with lots of fit young people who can run two miles without breathing hard (I'm guessing).

Velva Block said...

We can gain particularly from the PC. We can utilize it in the examination and furthermore in gaining some new useful http://www.bestparaphrasingtool.com/our-services/ since it is the method for learning things. I should state that we ought to think about PC altogether.

Velva Block said...

Having abilities in the PC's field is a gift of God since today the PC is the main thing which has been utilizing by read more here of life. Along these lines, it is extremely essential for us to know the fundamental things of PC innovation.

Hildegard Flatley said...

I'm pleasant to those educators who share their own experience with the understudies. Such instructors are my http://www.proposalletter.net/media-partnership-proposal-letter/ most adored as, they give the occasions of their own life and endeavor to make the understudies extraordinary nationals.

Anonymous said...

Excellent info. The warriors were what we use to bank for every single one of the wars already. They were the ones who used to get the wellsprings of data dissect them and visit site from that point go about as necessities be.

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog entry, Lottery result is an extraordinary desire thing and everybody needs to win this cash. Here you can look here to complete that kind of post. Thu-sly, individuals spend superfluous cash on this thing at any rate just a single individual arranged to win this cash.