Thursday, June 12, 2008

Who Plants a Tree . . .

For the first time in my life, I have planted a tree. This is a member of the tulip variety, and we ordered this rather nondescript branch from an arborist in Oregon. Our little tree traveled here in a box and was planted in our back yard.

We chose this type because it has lovely green leaves in summer and bright yellow ones in autumn; it is fast-growing and sturdy. It can grow to 30 or 40 feet tall.

Right now our tree casts only a finger of shade (although the dog already tries to sit in it). Someday, though, if the rain and soil are compliant, and if my daily waterings are successful, this tree will be lovely and large, and will contribute something important to the environment.

My tree experiment was inspired partly by my 20th wedding anniversary--I joked to my husband that if anything happens to this little Charlie Brown twig then we'll have to carefully evaluate the state of our marriage.

But each day when I look at it, I am invested with a certain amount of hope, and I'm reminded of a poem on a stake in my mother's garden:

"Who plants a seed
Beneath the sod
And waits to see
Believes in God."

I will update occasionally with pictures of the tree project. It's already got many more leaves than this early photo suggests. :)

2 comments:

Doug M.Cummings said...

I should send you a pic of my backyard redbud tree as supportive inspiration. In the shadow of a huge sugar maple it has grown in just fine despite the prognostication of an arborist and the landscaper who insisted it would die the first summer we re-planted it...12 years ago.
By the way, I have lost your email address and wanted to tell you that I have an official Every Secret Crime shirt for you. If you would email me your size and snail address, said shirt will be enroute.

Julia Buckley said...

Those invasive arborists! :)

Thanks--I will claim my shirt pronto. But never lose that e-mail address again.