Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Mantra From Camus

"In the midst of winter I discovered that there was within me an eternal spring."

--Albert Camus

Ah, Albair, thank you for arming me with a philosophy that will ease me through this day and through this relentless snow!

My car has died. It sits forlornly in a 7-11 parking lot, awaiting its fate (a tow truck). Now the future is uncertain--rides to work, to school. Meetings on the calendar. And the coldest weather on record predicted for the week.

Thanks to Camus I have achieved a certain resignation--a philosophical distance from my transportation problem that makes it rather funny. How long, really, did I expect my ten-year-old caravan to last? This long? :)

I know that however it is resolved I will be able to rely on that eternal spring of which Camus wrote so poetically. His words are my comfort on this cold winter day.


Eric Mayer said...

Old cars and winter are a bad combination, as I know only too well. Sorry to hear about that. We're having a cold spell too. Wish I could hibernate until April, or even next Monday. Thanks for the quote though.I'm looking inside me. I might need an ice pick, but I'm looking!

Julia Buckley said...

Now THAT reminds me of another great quote from Franz Kafka:
"A book should be an ice pick to break up the frozen sea within us."

I can't escape the literary quotations today. :)

Pat Browning said...

That's a gorgeous photo -- suitable for framing. Did you take it?
Pat Browning

Julia Buckley said...

I did take it, Pat! I love pictures of icy things. This is a tree right in front of my house.