Monday, February 23, 2009

Fail Again, Fail Better

I read a great article by Geoff Nicholson in Sunday's New York Times Book Section. In it he examines the notion of the prolific text producer, and whether or not that affects the readability of one's work.

In Nicholson's article (along with a mention of the great Georges Simenon and his more than 500 books), was this gem of a Beckett quote (from Worstward Ho):

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better."

It took me a while to come to appreciate Beckett's genius, but now that I'm a fan I find quotes like that wonderful in their simplicity (and their truth).

Speaking of Simenon, I recently recommended his book Red Lights. There's a link to my review here.

2 comments:

Cindy Fey said...

Words to live by!!!

Picks by Pat said...

I read that article too. Very humbling to realize some very good writers were so prolific...now, if you'll excuse me, I'd better get back to my own writing!