Saturday, September 30, 2006

What I've Learned at Bouchercon

My first Bouchercon has been a lovely experience, and I will soon post pictures to prove it. What I can provide now is a top ten list of some of the most interesting things I've learned so far during my jaunt to Madison, WI.

1. Most people don't object to wearing large tags around their necks. We have all become used to seeing others look at our tags rather than our faces, and often, in my case, the eyes will often slide away, disappointed, without ever meeting mine. Not an esteem lifter, that.

2. Jess Lourey will not walk on sewer grates. (In her defense? She actually knows of someone who once fell through).

3. Not only is Madison full of brightly painted ceramic cows, but lots of people want their pictures taken with said bovine.

4. Sandra Ruttan has boundless energy, and should be considered as an alternate source of fuel.

5. Caroline Upcher does not, in fact, look like Angie Dickinson,(as I once surmised) but she is lovely and elegant nonetheless.

6. Diet Coke is tasty, but not a good meal replacement. And my one indulgence, a White Russian, can drunkify me in about 30 seconds.

7. Nevada Barr is a delightful speaker.

8. Bill Cameron frightened away a woman who happened to wander past his simulated puke anecdote.

9. Barbara Moore from Midnight Ink is gracious, elegant, and lots of fun.

10. Writers, when they are not feeling proud of themselves, are filled with self-loathing. At least that was the consensus of my little table at the bar.

This is really just the tip of the iceberg, but it's a little capsule of what I've experienced here at The Big Event. And by the way, Madison is quite beautiful. I'll be posting pictures of that, too.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was SO great finally meeting you, Julia. I'm not used to all that smoozing - finally lost my voice. BTW, I don't step on sewer grates either.

Julia Buckley said...

Deb, I loved meeting you, too! Let's do that promotion together that we talked about. You can show me the ropes. :)

Try some lemon and honey for your throat.

Bill Cameron said...

The Simulated Puke Anecdote incident. Oh my.

Julia Buckley said...

As it shall come to be called, ages hence.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that you all are the very best group of authors ever! What a fabulously talented, kind, funny, and eclectic group. I kept walking around B'con feeling so proud of you all as if I had anything to do with your coolness. Oh, the SPA was great. And who's butt did you slap?

Barbara

Julia Buckley said...

Hey, Barbara. As I recall, I did not slap anyone's butt. Was I supposed to? Is it a B-con prerequisite?

Anonymous said...

I think Bill knows what I'm talking about (he of the SPA and other large gestures). You have too much klass to slap someone's butt.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I think I've just been called class-less.

I like Spanky better.

Julia Buckley said...

Spanky is good, I must admit. It's very Little Rascals, but it has a whole separate Sandra meaning. Good job, Jess. You can give us all nicknames.

Anonymous said...

Julia, GREAT, GREAT PICTURES OF OUR WONDERFUL CONVENTION.

Thanks, Betty Gordon

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Betty! I do enjoy looking back at them.