Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Greatest Loves . . . in Mystery



In honor of the day, I've been contemplating some of my favorite romantic relationships in the world of mystery and suspense. Many of these, for me, are in the romantic suspense novels of Mary Stewart back in the sixties and seventies. Stewart had a gift not only for sophisticated plotting, but for creating characters that you rooted for, even if those characters seemed unlikely as a romantic pair. Some of her characters top my list, but I've added in some other favorites, as well. Please do comment and tell me your favorites!

Lucy Waring and Max Gale

THIS ROUGH MAGIC
(Mary Stewart)

Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane
STRONG POISON, HAVE HIS CARCASE, GAUDY NIGHT, etc.
Dorothy L. Sayers

Simon and Deborah St. James
(The Elizabeth George Series)

Nancy Drew and Ned Nickerson
THE NANCY DREW MYSTERIES
(Carolyn Keene)

Chief Inspector and Dora Wexford
The Wexford Mysteries
(Ruth Rendell)

Stephanie Plum and Joe Morelli
The Stephanie Plum Mysteries
(Janet Evanovich)

Claire Malloy and Peter Rosen
The Claire Malloy mysteries
(Joan Hess)

Henry and Emmy Tibbet
The Henry and Emmy mysteries
(Patricia Moyes)

Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe Emerson
CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK
(Elizabeth Peters)

Nick and Nora Charles

THE THIN MAN

Which ones am I forgetting?

7 comments:

Bill Cameron said...

Peter and Ruby Jane?

Heh heh!

Julia Buckley said...

Believe it or not, famous author Bill Cameron, with a book called LOST DOG coming out next month, I did consider them, but I felt I needed to see how their relationship EVOLVED . . . .

They might make next year's list, though, if I get my paws on your next manuscript. :)

Bill Cameron said...

Well, it may take a few novels before they can seriously contend for the list. They're having a, well, I guess my Grandma woulda called it a "patch" in my current WIP. But you never know...

And maybe we can make a trade or something. One MM for one WIC (Whatever It's Called). :D

Julia Buckley said...

That is a deal, man. And I don't like to hear about the love troubles.

Bill Cameron said...

I'm a wrathful god.

Keith Raffel said...

Nancy and Ned? She barely tolerated the dolt.

Julia Buckley said...

Keith, you have to look at the big picture. Ned was ALWAYS there for Nancy, and Nancy knew it. But he also allowed Nancy to be an independent woman.