Thursday, September 06, 2007

Praying Mantis, Pray Tell?

Check out this bug that I saw on my house a couple of weeks ago. I had just painted, and I thought a leaf had stuck to the wet wall. However, the paint, upon inspection, was dry, and instead I realized that the leaf had antennae and little tiny arms like a Tyrannasaurus Rex. I wondered if it might be a praying mantis (which I had never seen in my life), but the ones I found online didn't look the same--they were much greener than this brown fellow.

I had always thought, too, that the PMs were mainly found in the south, and I'm minutes from Chicago. Is Global Warming somehow relocating the Praying Mantises? :)

If there are any amateur (or professional) entymologists who read this blog, please give me your best guess. I'd like to say I still know where the bug is, but my husband WOULD have to try to touch it, and it slipped into the shrubbery and disappeared. Ah, well. At least I captured him on film. I feel like a gosh darn National Geographic photographer. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it's a praying mantis -- just don't quote me on that! But they have strange front limbs like that and long thin bodies.

Love the blog by the way!

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Ria! I think you're right, because I can't find anything else that remotely resembles him.

And now I sort of miss him. :)

Thanks for reading!