Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Season of Love

I feel very nostalgic on Valentine's Day, not only because of some romantic memories of my past, but because of happy times spent with construction paper and glue, making homemade valentines with little boys.

Now that the boys are older life is in many ways less intense--but that intensity of the early years ends up providing fodder for endless memories, holiday to holiday, weather to weather.

In honor of the day, I'll share one of my favorite love poems, by the great Robert Burns:

My Love is Like A Red, Red Rose


by Robert Burns

O my luve is like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonny lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel, awhile!
And I will come again, my love
Though it were ten thousand mile.

I have a recording of this, sung by the King's Singers, and it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Try to find it on I-Tunes if you want a lovely Valentine's experience. :)

Happy Day!

No comments: