Saturday, February 23, 2008

Winter Reflections

Another winter's day, and I have my second cold of 2008. This one is bigger and meaner, and I just went out to buy some Buckley's Cough Syrup (no relation). It promises to taste awful but really work. I will attest to the tasting awful part--it's like swallowing Vicks rub. But it will be worth it if it calms this coal miner's lament of a cough.

While I am lying around, trying to recover, I have bursts of energy, like the one which prompted me to give both of the boys sub-par haircuts because they were starting to look like islanders from Lord of the Flies and their regular stylist was booked. Not the best decision to make when one's mind is muddled . . .

Despite the cough, the cold weather, the sneezes that are testing my bladder muscles--I am in a fairly good mood. Maybe it's because I watched 20/20 last night--an episode about health and very rare diseases. They profiled three little girls who have the terrible malady of not being able to feel pain, and therefore having no concept of how to protect themselves, or to learn the lessons of pain.

Then there was a story about people with a rare genetic disease which brought permanent insomnia--and death within months as the body shut down from lack of sleep.

I thought, "My goodness--I only have a cold! What am I complaining about?"

Though I did continue to complain, just a little. :)

In any case, my next post will be less rambling due to improved health--an interview with crime writer Sean Chercover.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better!

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Lorraine! I do feel better today, but still kind of dumb. Not a time to operate heavy machinery or anything.

Cindy Fey said...

Gorgeous photo, Julia. Did you take it?

Julia Buckley said...

I did, Cindy! It's in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin, taken from the Mother House of the Sinsinawa Dominican sisters. Why was I there, you may ask? Long story . . . but among other things, we bought bread from the sisters, who bake it right there at the convent.

Anonymous said...

Hope your cold is better. I had one a couple of weeks back and it seemed like it took forever to get over. Hope you can spend some quality time just sipping tea and reading!

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Kay. I did a bit of both this weekend. I am really growing to love tea again. It's been such a cold winter that we're having it every night, and it's become our special treat. You would think we were English. :)