Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Even His Worst Is The Best


I've been reading Ross MacDonald at bedtime as a little treat to myself while work continues to squat relentlessly on my life. This book, however, isn't the best of MacDonald's work. It's long and convoluted and I keep mixing up characters. It's taking me longer to finish it than it should because I keep falling asleep.

I hate to say this about MacDonald, who really is the best of this genre, at least in terms of literary quality. And I must say that even if this book's plot has something lacking, MacDonald's way of spinning a phrase is still intact in this novel. His metaphors are so effective they actually make me stop reading for a moment just to savor the image. Still, I might have to re-read one of his best to make up for his least.

I'm thinking maybe THE WYCHERLY WOMAN or THE UNDERGROUND MAN.

Any other good bedtime book suggestions?

No comments: