Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day To All


Abe Lincoln famously wrote "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." How generous of Lincoln to acknowledge the woman who raised him, and what a beautiful tribute this quote is, really, to all mothers.

Today I spent a lovely Mother's Day at my brother's house, where two of my siblings and I (and our children) got to see our mother and shower her with gifts. Her favorite gift of all was the fact that we sat down and sang with her for an hour or so; my mother's favorite thing is music, and we grew up singing and harmonizing. We had a regular old hootenanny in my brother's sun porch, and my mother said it was the best Mother's Day she could remember.

Like Abe, I feel I owe a lot to my mother, so I was glad that her day was so happy and the weather was so lovely.