Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Revealing Dialogue

My sons lost their computer privileges for today because of their shenanigans yesterday.

Now, they've finally gotten around to doing the chore list I made (it's three o'clock). They're getting into work mode and warming up to the idea of self-discipline.

My youngest presented me with an opportunity: "Mom, what if I did the very hardest chores in the house? Could I earn back computer?"

"No."

"Why not? I'm offering to do the hardest chores!" (By the way, he didn't mention what these herculean tasks might be).

"Because if you take your consequences and learn from them, it will build character. If you just whine about them and assume you have a get-out-of-jail free card, you'll grow up to be that kind of person."

He looked at me for a moment. "I'm talking about the hardest chores."

I admire both of my sons for their tenacity, although at this stage in life it's just determination to get what they want. Then again, maybe that's how adults are, too.

I continue to learn from my children, nature's little mirrors.

No comments: