Sunday, January 06, 2008

Coolest Photograph of the Year

Once again I received this photo in an e-mail, so I cannot provide attribution, but it was identified as a picture taken at the North Pole when the moon is directly above the setting sun.

I find it unspeakably beautiful, especially because of the reflection in the ice. It reminds me of this poem by Robert Frost.

FIRE AND ICE

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire;
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

ROBERT FROST

4 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

Lovely! Like something mysterious materializing, but something that's there every day.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Julia Buckley said...

I thought that very thing. The mystery of the universe.

Carola Rummens said...

Hi Julia

I find this picture unspeakably beautiful too. I would love to go to the North Pole tomorrow and see this for myself. It is relay the best picture ever!!

greetings
Caro

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Caro--I actually think some of yours are lovelier. Anyone reading this, check out Caro's link to her beautiful photography under my links!