Wednesday, June 21, 2006

An Ode To Cover Art



I don't agree with the fact that we can't judge a book by its cover--or at least with the fact that we don't judge a book by it's cover. I do it all the time, in that if a book has a gorgeous cover, I may well buy it. That's why I was so thrilled with the cover art that my publisher's designer, Kevin R. Brown, created. It's mysterious, it's compelling, and it goes well with the title of the novel. I think cover artists are rather unsung heroes. They get a tiny credit inside the book, but people who respond to the beauty of a cover may never look to see who might be responsible for that particular design.

I'm convinced that Kevin Brown's cover will attract far more people to my book than will any copy written to describe the story, so I'm certainly grateful to him. In the meantime, I'm anxiously anticipating what my next cover will look like. It's a much different kind of novel, much more lighthearted and focused mostly on one person, the protagonist, Madeline Mann. I assume, therefore, that Madeline herself will be on the cover. I can only hope that their vision of Madeline is similar to mine. Time will tell . . . .

No comments: