Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bury My Heart Under This Pile of Papers


I'm grading research papers this week, so my blogs will most likely be short and sweet. Each year I'm convinced I can get through them quickly and efficiently, but each year I am inundated with notecards, outlines, VERY rough drafts, and a slight headache right between the eyes.

I am learning, however, some interesting things about Ibsen's Nora Helmer and her quest for independence; Hermann Hesse's fascination with Eastern religion in the writing of Siddhartha; Fate as a driving force in Oedipus Rex; and why both Camus' Meursault and Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov create their OWN alienation. :)

It's an important time, though, when students begin to think of themselves as scholars, and that needs to be nurtured. So off to the great pile of scholarship I go!

(Disclosure: This is a reprint from LAST year at research paper time. Second Disclosure: I am lazy).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I begin grading my research papers this coming Tuesday... Its a lot of work to grade them well.

Julia Buckley said...

Oh, bless you! I agree, it's tons of work, and because of all the Mother's Day festivities I'm going to be a day behind. A bit of pressure there. :0