Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Necessary Luxury

Our Dodge Caravan has lasted eleven years, but it was finally showing its age--and some scary on-the-road incidents in the past several months made us realize that it was time to get something new--or almost new. So I did my research (as you may recall) and used the internet to check out all that was available in my price range. The dealer we went to see, Vince, was kind enough not to laugh when he heard that price range, and we are now the proud owners of a pre-owned Sorento.

This car has certain luxuries that I, a 44-year-old woman, have never possessed; so while it was necessary to get it for safety reasons, it feels like quite an indulgence.

What I have never possessed before:

--power windows and locks

--in-car CD player

--lots of neat storage nooks

What I have not possessed for many years:

--working air conditioning

--two working stereo speakers

--good shock absorbers

So imagine how spoiled I felt today, driving home from work with a cd playing in my car while my big new tires made simple work of all the post-winter potholes.

Do I worry about taking on those new payments in this economy? Yes. Do I tend to worry about everything anyway? Yes.

But I absolutely love this car, and there's always that chance that I'll find money under a rock (although I've never looked under a rock to date). I'll just take it one day at a time and be sure to listen to lots of music while I drive. :)

5 comments:

Eric Mayer said...

Ah!!! I envy your CD player. I've never had one. But my present "new" car came with power windows which was a first for me so I know where you're coming from. Next time I get the CD player. Enjoy. Kinks and Ramones!

Julia Buckley said...

It is really nice, Eric. I recommend it, especially because I hate radio commercials so very much.

Kinks and Ramones, eh? You and my husband would be best pals.

I'm more of a Simon and Garfunkel and Gordon Lightfoot kind of person. :)

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Congrats on your new car, Julia!!!

Now put the old Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks" CD in there and sing along with those old guys (who do still rock and so do you!).

Julia Buckley said...

Great suggestion, Kaye! And how about some EmmyLou?

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Emmylou - YES!

and Sugarland!