Sunday, March 16, 2008

My New Secretary

Recently, before I was hammered mercilessly by the flu, I invested fifty dollars at a second-hand store and bought this roll-top desk. I've always wanted a "secretary desk," as they are sometimes called, but could never afford it, and even the fifty dollars was rather a splurge. But I cannot express how much I love this desk, despite the fact that it needs new drawer hardware and has scratches and nicks all over. It's already re-organized my life in necessary ways, and I find the process of paying bills quite effortless now.

I am apparently a woman of simple needs--this desk cheers me considerably, even in my current listless state. What is a writer, really, without a desk?

5 comments:

Dani said...

That's a gorgeous desk! Lee Valley has great hardware, and you'll probably spend at least another $50. What a steal though!

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks! I manage to stroke the surface of it every morning. :)

I'll have to look for Lee Valley. Sounds noble.

Carola Rummens said...

This is a very nice desk Julia. You will write lovely stories while sitting at it. Are you already searching for a secret drawer. It should have his own mysteries!!

Julia Buckley said...

Oh my gosh, Caro! How many Nancy Drew books have I read, and I never even thought of a secret drawer! Now I will hunt . . .

Picks by Pat said...

Nice desk. Should prove inspiring while you write.