Monday, November 27, 2006

Bruce Lee and The Elusive Fly


Today is the birthday of the legendary Bruce Lee. I loved The Green Hornet, and I always think of that show when I think of Bruce, but of course my husband remembers him for his martial arts movies and for Jeet Kune Do, the martial art Lee himself invented. Lee considered himself to be a philosopher as much as he was a martial artist; Jeet Kune Do consists of only the "useful" parts of several martial arts.
My favorite anecdote regarding Jeff and his love of Bruce Lee involves Jeff killing a mosquito in a remarkable quick hand movement. I said, "Wow, you're like Bruce Lee."
He shook his head and said, "No, Jul--when I kill a mosquito I'm like Godzilla. When I kill a fly I'm like Bruce Lee." Not sure I quite understand that distinction, but it made sense to him . . .
(image from www. poster.net)

No comments: