Friday, April 24, 2009

On Spring

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant."

--Anne Bradstreet


"Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night."

--Rainer Maria Rilke


Here is my favorite spring sight: last year my husband and I planted a tiny tree for our 20th anniversary. It broke once over the summer, but it did bloom in its miniscule way. Then it looked like an unimpressive stick all winter. But here it is, ready to bloom again! This is why spring may be the best of seasons--it's all about promise and potential. I have high hopes for my little tree!

2 comments:

Eric Mayer said...

How neat. You can actually count the buds.

I don't now about shrieking vegetation though. When I see the grass starting to grow I kind of feel like shrieking.

Julia Buckley said...

I know! And you can see how long my grass is getting in that photo, but no mowing it this weekend--it's supposed to thunderstorm all weekend long. I guess I'll have to grade those papers, after all.