Monday, August 28, 2006

The Problem with Fairy Tales

  Posted by PicasaTen years ago today a divorce decree made final the end of the marriage of Charles and Diana, who had been married for fifteen years, only some of them happy ones.

It's common knowledge that the story, already sad, became much sadder. But I was disillusioned long before Diana's death, or even the divorce. The whole world saw their marriage ending, in painful public displays, long before it became official.

I am one of the romantics who got up at four in the morning to watch the royal wedding. I giggled when Diana stumbled over Charles' full name (was it Charles Philip Arthur George?) and ahhhed with everyone else at the sight of her dress, her smile, the shining carriage that waited to drive her and her prince through the streets of well-wishers.

It's one mystery, that marriage, that I truly wish I could re-write, especially Diana's final scene.